Abdul Kadir Jibon:
Ali Amjad’s Tower Clock of Chadnighat located in Sylhet City is one of the popular attractions, oldest splendid – looking love tower situated on the northern bank of the Surma River (west to Circuit House) at Chadnighat in Sylhet City in Bangladesh. Famous Keane Bridge lies to the east beside the Tower Clock.
Width : 8 feet 10 inchesHeight
Height : 9 feet 10 inches
Height from ceiling to ground : 13 feet
Clock section height from roof : 7 feet
The height of top part of watch : 6 feet
Total height : 26 feet
Opening date : 1874
Many people think that Ali Amjad Khan, a Nawab of Prithimpassa, built this tower clock. But nobody could find out exactly when the clock has started ticking.
According to the Nawab’s family tree, the clock was presented by Ali Amjad’s father, Nawab Ali Ahmed Khan, which was later constructed in around 1895. Another source said, Ali Amjad was invited to visit Delhi and thereby was charmed by the clock made with the inspiration of the princess of Delhi. He also craved to build the same and eventually made the tower clock with a similar design and pattern in Sylhet.
During the War of Liberation in 1971, this ancient clock tower was dispersed by bullets of Pak Occupation Army. After Independence, the clock was repaired by Sylhet City Municipality that made it active. But the clock was stopped soon after.
In 1987, Ali Amjad’s Clock was repaired and restored by a technician of a company in Dhaka. After launching the clock was provided with a remote controller to wind the clock. Within a short time the clock stopped again.
In 2011, the Sylhet City Corporation repaired the tower clock again; then it came into operation 24 hours a day.
People arrive here to see the tower clock from far flung places all over the country. But the clock recently has become inactive. The clock is worn out repeatedly due to lack of proper repair work done with the help of modern technology.
There were local proverbs on this clock:
‘the stair of Chadnighat
Ali Amjad’s Watch
Jitu Miah’s House
Bunkey Babur’s beard’
The writer is Editor, ‘The Earth of Autograph’